Enhance your Smile with Cosmetic Dentistry
There’s no reason to hide in a tower, become a hermit or refuse to be happy just because you don’t like your own smile. Advances in cosmetic dentistry have made it possible to change almost everything about your smile, with very natural results.
These days you can go to your local dentist in Calgary SE and have a wide range of treatments aimed at meeting your personal idea of beauty when it comes to your own smile.
Changes can range from simple procedures you can have done in the dentist’s chair or you can do at home, like teeth whitening, to the complex package of procedures involved in full mouth reconstruction / smile makeover.
In pursuit of beauty – full smile makeover
Closely allied to restorative dentistry, cosmetic dentistry and smile makeover explores the more ethereal concept of the beauty in each individual smile. The cosmetic dentist’s main goal is to create beauty through attention to every detail of every tooth in the smile. Improved oral health and restored function may occur, but are not the primary aim. In restorative surgery the entire goal is to ensure that teeth are functional.
Both branches of dentistry make use of similar dental procedures like crowns, implants or veneers and so on, but how they use them is completely different.
Advanced materials look natural
Materials available for use in cosmetic surgery have become so advanced that it is sometimes difficult to see that treatment has been carried out as the result is so natural. Those who well remember the embarrassment of discolored bridges and metal braces might find it hard to believe that today adults and teenagers alike are opting for Invisalign clear orthodontic aligners instead of the metalwork they once wore.
Today everything is all about the natural look. Tooth-colored composite resin is being used in bonding to improve the strength and look of chipped teeth, as well as in veneers and other work. At the same time, natural-looking porcelain crowns, veneers and bridgework improve instead of distract from the smile.
The most common and simple forms of cosmetic dentistry
- Whitening: Lightens the colour of the teeth and will brighten your smile by removing stains caused by drinks like tea and coffee, smoking and some medications.
- Bonding: Tooth-colored resin is used to fill gaps or change the color of your teeth. It can last for a few years but is fairly easily stained.
- Veneers are hard pieces of resin or porcelain that are attached to hide crooked, misshapen, chipped or unevenly-spaced teeth. They are cheaper than crowns and will outlast bonding.
- Crowns cover a chipped or broken tooth to bring back its original shape. They are lasting but expensive and take a long time to do.
- Reshaping and contouring: Lasers or drills can be used to smooth out or reshape crooked, oddly-shaped or even overlapping teeth. It can prove ideal for making subtle changes to your smile.
- Gum sculpting involves minor surgery to reshape and even out the gums.
More complex forms of cosmetic dentistry employ these same techniques. Sometimes more than one procedure is used and work is carried out on several teeth to get the effect required. Very often multi-treatment procedures like a full smile makeover have the added benefit of correcting functional problems as well as improving the smile.